KTM 790 Adventure R 2019 Features
- LC8c parallel twin compact injected motor.
- 15,000km service intervals.
- 8 valve DOHC cylinder head.
- Steel valves are opened by DLC-coated finger followers.
- Hydraulic chain tensioner tensions the cam chain.
- Two balancer shafts keep vibration to a minimum.
- Nicasil-coated aluminum cylinders.
- Open deck cylinder construction allows for optimal cooling.
- Forged pistons with three piston rings connected by a plain conrod bearing.
- A forged one-piece crankshaft is held firmly in place by plain bearings with a 75-degree offset.
- The 435-degree firing order produces a sound similar to that of the larger LC8 engine.
- Horizontally split crankcases are an aluminum high-pressure cast.
- Oil circulation is based on a compact semi-dry sump system to minimize friction losses.
- The oil sump is integrated into the oil pump housing, together with two pumps (one scavenge, one pressure).
- To cool down the oil, the engine is equipped with an oil cooler similar to the larger LC8 V-twin engines.
- The 6-speed sequential gearbox’s stacked configuration reduces engine length.
- KTM’s ride-by-wire system electronically translates the throttle commands of the rider into optimum throttle valve positions for the specific riding situation.
- The stainless-steel exhaust system utilizes a mid-exhaust sound damper to centralize mass, resulting in a small muffler to the job required.
- The airbox is located under the seat with the intake at the rear of the bike to aid in the overall packaging of the motorcycle.
- In addition to easy air filter access, the seat and tank could be kept low and narrow and the mass centralised including electronics.
- The design of the advanced cooling technology, riding for hours in hot conditions is possible.
- The tubular CroMo steel frame and lightweight steel trellis subframe are engineered to be compact but strong, to handle harsh conditions.
- All design and engineering innovations are focused on being compact and light.
- The steel trellis subframe was developed to be compact, lightweight and also strong enough to carry a full load under the hard conditions that can be expected when extreme adventure riding.
- The signature die-cast, open-lattice swingarm is precisely manufactured and has been optimized for stiffness and stability while still offering excellent flex characteristics.
- A direct link for the rear shock, complexity and parts are reduced. The relatively long swingarm aids in traction, stability and suspension setup.
- Spoked 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels are specifically developed to handle hardcore offroad exploration.
- Fitted with METZELER Karoo 3 adventure tyres to maximize offroad performance.
- High-performance WP suspension perfectly suited to venturing farther off the beaten track.
- WP Steering Dampner that helps when pushing hard in rough terrain but doesn’t interfere with serious offroad riding.
- Alloy lightweight triple clamps are strong and stiff for stability, with great handlebar adjustability.
- WP XPLOR 48 mm fork, with 240 mm of travel, spring on both sides but feature a separate function for each fork leg: compression damping on the left, rebound on the right.
- Forks to be easily adjusted on the fly with the twist of a dial on the top of the forks to suit a variety of off-road riding conditions.
- In addition, a sealed hydro-stop guarantees excellent resistance to bottoming-out.
- WP XPLOR rear shock with 240 mm of travel, WP XPLOR PDS rear shock uses KTM’s trademark progressive damping system.
- Bottoming resistance is provided by a second piston, which works together with a closed cup (instead of a needle) towards the end of the stroke and is supported by a progressive shock spring.
- Twin 320 mm diameter brake discs with 4-piston, radially mounted calipers up front, and a 260 mm diameter brake disc actuated by a double piston floating caliper in the rear. Engineered in-house precisely for the 790 Adventure R.
- The 20 litre fuel tank has the main tank volume is placed as low as possible, lowering the centre of gravity, narrow for knees when standing, provides a narrow lower seat and expect a range of approximately 450kms depending on riding conditions.
- Aluminum-tapered handlebar allows maximum control while offering a comfortable riding position.
- The handlebar can be mounted in six different positions, which results in 30 mm of adjustment range, allowing for a personal fit.
- The footpegs have rubber inserts, which can be removed, are designed for all-day riding.
- A single piece, offroad style seat was developed to allow maximum freedom of movement, plenty of grip and still offer the comfort needed for long days in the saddle.
- A low-profile windshield, which enables the rider to move around the bike freely when standing and offers an unobstructed view directly in front of the bike, even when the screen is covered in dirt.
- A 5-inch, full-color, state-of-the-art TFT display.
- LED lights are used as the main headlight, tail light and indicators, offering great illumination and visibility, which are compact, so they help reduce the overall volume of the motorcycle.
- MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control) is a lean-angle sensitive traction control system, reacting immediately the instant rear wheel rotation speed becomes disproportionate to the riding situation.
- For particularly ambitious riders, the traction control can also be switched off.
- KTM’s cornering ABS system allows riders to always use the full power of their brakes while the system adjusts brake pressure to match the lean angle of the motorcycle, for safer and more predictable braking across a wider range of conditions and scenarios.
- ABS can be turned off for offroad conditions.
- Selecting offroad ABS, ABS is deactivated on the rear wheel, while front wheel ABS intervention is reduced and data from the lean angle sensor is not considered.
- ‘Offroad ride mode’ has a smooth throttle response and allows a fair amount of slip before it intervenes. Anti-wheelie is not used in this mode, so riders can easily lift the front wheel over obstacles. ‘Offroad ride mode’ is not lean angle sensitive, so traction control does not intervene when a rider uses a berm to turn.
- ‘Rally mode’ the rider can adapt the character of the bike more freely. Slip adjust can be changed in 9 levels, varying from an intervention level 9 (comparable to rain mode) to hardly any intervention at level 1, with 7 steps in between. With these settings the slip adjust can be very precisely matched to the condition of the surface, the skill level of the rider and the requirements of the ride. Reducing slip can also help to conserve tires when riding longer.
KTM 790 Adventure R Optional Equipment
- Quickshift+ up/down.
- Cruise Control.
- KTM MyRide for bluetooth audio and telephone, with smartphone integration via the KTM app on Google Play and iOS.
KTM 790 Adventure R Specifications
- DESIGN | 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, parallel twin
- DISPLACEMENT| 799 cm³
- BORE| 88 mm
- STROKE | 65.7 mm
- POWER IN KW | 70 kW
- STARTER | Electric starter
- LUBRICATION | Forced oil lubrication with 2 oil pumps
- TRANSMISSION | 6-speed
- COOLING | Liquid cooled
- CLUTCH | PASC™ antihopping clutch, mechanically operated
- EMS | Bosch EMS with RBW
- CO2 EMISSIONS | 98 g/km
- FUEL CONSUMPTION | 4.19 l/100 km
- FRAME DESIGN | Chromium-Molybdenum-Steel frame using the engine as stressed element, powder coated
- FRONT SUSPENSION |WP USD Ø 48 mm
- REAR SUSPENSION | WP-PDS Monoshock
- SUSPENSION TRAVEL (FRONT) | 240 mm
- SUSPENSION TRAVEL (REAR) | 240 mm
- FRONT BRAKE | 2x radially mounted 4 piston caliper
- REAR BRAKE | 2 piston floating caliper
- FRONT BRAKE DISC DIAMETER | 320 mm
- REAR BRAKE DISC DIAMETER | 260 mm
- ABS | Bosch 9.1 MP (incl. Cornering-ABS and offroad mode, disengageable)
- CHAIN | X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4″
- STEERING HEAD ANGLE | 63.7 °
- GROUND CLEARANCE | 263 mm
- SEAT HEIGHT | 880 mm
- TANK CAPACITY (APPROX.) | 20 l
- DRY WEIGHT | 189 kg
KTM 790 Adventure R Purchase Terms and Fine Print
Priced on road ride away in Queensland including 12 months dual seat registration, stamp duty, dealer pre-delivery and administration costs. Buyers must hold a QLD license. Unregistration pricing is available, say for interstate purchases.
Collection from us the dealer is mandatory, no shipping available with exception only if you the customer have visited our store the in-person handover first.
Pricing is subject to change without notice due to reasons beyond our control and timely manner of website editing and access.
The illustrated vehicles may vary in selected details from the production models and some illustrations feature optional equipment available at additional cost. All information concerning the scope of supply, appearance, services, dimensions and weights is non-binding and specified with the proviso that mistakes, printing, setting and typing errors may occur; such information is subject to change without notice. No rights may be derived from incorrect statements.
Parallel Twin, EFI
6 Speed, Chain Final
Key with immobiliser
189 kg Dry
15,000 Km or 12 Months